Why It Is Done
A pelvic exam may be done:
• As part of a woman’s regular physical checkup. A Pap test may be done during the pelvic exam. For more information, see the topic Pap Test.
• To detect vaginal infections, such as yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis.
• To help detect *****ly transmitted infections (STIs), such as chlamydia, herpes, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, or human papillomavirus (HPV).
• To help determine the cause of abnormal uterine or rectal bleeding.
• To evaluate pelvic organ abnormalities, such as uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, or uterine prolapse.
• To evaluate abdominal or pelvic pain.
• Before prescribing a method of birth control (contraception). Some methods of birth control, such as a diaphragm or intrauterine device, require a pelvic exam to make sure the device fits properly.
• Collect evidence in cases of suspected ***** assault.
Before a pelvic exam:
• Try to schedule the exam when you are not having your period, since blood can interfere with the results of a Pap test. But if you have a new vaginal discharge or new or increasing pelvic pain, a pelvic exam may be done while you are having your period.
• Do not use douches, tampons, vaginal medications, or vaginal sprays or powders for at least 24 hours.
• Do not have sex for 24 hours prior to the exam if you have abnormal vaginal discharge.
For more information about Professional Gynecological Services or to schedule an appointment, please contact our Brooklyn office by number (718) 875-4848 or our Staten Island office by number (718) 442-3434.
Professional Gynecological Services
14 Dekalb Ave, 2nd Floor,
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Downtown Brooklyn | Clinton Hill | Prospect Heights | Gowanus | Cobble Hill
11201| 11238 | 11217
Working Hours Brooklyn:
Monday: 9 AM - 5:45 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 4:45 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5:45 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 4:45 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 4:45 PM
Saturday: 9 AM - 11:30AM
Payment: cash, check, credit cards.
Monday : 09:00 - 17:45
Tuesday : 09:00 - 16:45
Wednesday : 09:00 - 17:45
Thursday : 09:00 - 16:45
Friday : 09:00 - 16:45
Saturday : 09:00 - 11:30
Sunday - Closed
Add Your Review
Please login to add your review.